The millions are awake enough for physical labor; but only one in a million is awake enough for effective intellectual exertion, only one in a hundred millions to a poetic or divine life. To be awake is to be alive. I have never yet met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face?
DO NOW: With your group, discuss what Thoreau means about being truly “awake.” SWBAT explore the tenets of transcendentalism and examine Thoreau’s idea of being truly “awake”.
Agenda:
1. Living Simply / Deliberately / Intuitively
2. Walden documentary (20 mins)
3. Recapping "Economy" and "Where I Lived, What I Lived For"
Summarizer: What are the dangers of conformity in our lives?
HW: 1) Read Thoreau’s chapter, “Solitude” (143-154) and annotate 3 quotations. 2) String Journals #2 due Friday!
HW: 1) Read Thoreau’s chapter, “Solitude” (143-154) and annotate 3 quotations. 2) String Journals #2 due Friday!
No comments:
Post a Comment